Passion for art
It was above all August the Strong (1670–1733), Elector of Saxony and later King of Poland who furthered the systematic development of the holdings. Having travelled to Versailles, he had become acquainted with the splendour of the Sun King, the absolute monarch, and had something similar in mind for his residence. He established the Grünes Gewölbe (Green Vault), the Skulpturensammlung (Sculpture Collection) and the Kupferstich-Kabinett (Cabinet of Prints and Drawings), and passionately collected porcelain and precious objects. In this way he laid the foundation stone for a museum structure which can still be recognized today. His son August III greatly expanded the Gemäldegalerie (Picture Gallery) and, by the mid-eighteenth century, had turned it into one of the most significant paintings galleries in Europe.